Saturday, May 23, 2009

sharing about Gabriel's birth


20 January 2009

I had a beautiful birth! Gabriel was born at home on 10 January, 2009 at 3:50am. I expected him to come a week or so after the due date, so this was a bit of a surprise! I honestly think that the 6.2 earthquake in Costa Rica on Thursday got my labor jump started!

I feel blessed to have been able to have a wonderful natural labor (9 hours) at home utilizing a lot of walking in the (nearly) full moon light outside our house, a birth pool and DP Julio being wonderfully supportive!!! Gabriel is so perfect and healthy, for which we are very thankful!!! He weighed 8lb, 12 oz. and was 50 cm long. His Apgar score was a 10 out of 10!!!

My midwife is awesome and things worked out very well - although we were all tired, because I was laboring at night she was able to arrive much much faster than expected. Which was good because he was born less than 3 hours later!



I had a not-so-beautiful afterbirth - a partially detached placenta - and lost a lot of blood. I was on IVs during the day and then have been taking iron supplements, iron-rich food, and drinking lots of water. My midwife is surprised and pleased at how well I'm bouncing back!

I'm working on writing out his birth story...

No comments:

Post a Comment